Saturday, August 16, 2008

Happy Holidays

Sometimes you just have to ad lib. Run with the ball so to speak.

Despite Holiday Plan A being abandoned due to poor weather and most of Holiday Plan B being dropped due to ill health we have nevertheless managed to enjoy a pretty special holiday week.

And it’s all the more enjoyable because I still have 3 days of it left – I don’t actually return to work until Tuesday.

Although we had to scale down some of our more grandiose plans (we never made it The British Museum as planned – sorry
OC) we still managed to take in a small smattering of choice culture:

  • The hologram exhibition at Rugby Art Gallery & Museum – great for kids and grown ups alike.

  • The Dark Knight at the Coventry Showcase – superb. Deserves a post all of its own (which I may or may not write).

  • Visited my friend Anna and her new baby, Lila, in glorious Nailsworth – a really beautiful part of the world (t’other side of Stroud) and has got Karen and I fantasising about how lovely it would be to live there ourselves.

  • Visited my friend Annie and her family in Weston-super-Mare – just a terrific day catching up with good friends.


Doesn’t sound a lot compared to what we’d planned to do but it’s been just the break that Karen and I needed. So much so I’m beginning to think things worked out perfectly in the end after all. Karen and I needed a proper restful holiday – and camping is never that. Being ill at the beginning of the week kind of forced us to stop and rest and we’re all the better for it. Tom took longer to recover but today finally is back fully to his old self and firing on all cylinders and his nappies are no longer quite as scary as they were a few days ago... It also means he’s far more mobile so we’re hoping to do something exciting with the few holiday days left to us…

Parachuting, abseiling, military manoeuvres in Northern Afghanistan… who knows, but we’re ready for it.

15 comments:

Daisy said...

congrats on readjusting steve...most people don't have the inventiveness to so and even if they want to aren't able to then enjoy it because it wasn't the plan...i try to make plans sketchy at best when i travel then i am not disappointed in any way...and i can spend longer at the places i adore...

Brother Tobias said...

It all sounds good. Probably all the better for being hoofed like that, with no expectations. Bet it seemed longer than it really was, too, because of what you crammed in. Don't think of it as three days left, think of it as a brand new three day break!

Steve said...

Thanks Daisy, I've learnt that spontaneity is always a good skill to have under your belt!

You know, Brother T, that sounds a terrific idea - I might just do that!

KeyReed said...

Spooky. I was in Rugby this week visiting my Sister in law and my Mother in Law lives in Woodchester which is between Nailsworth and Stroud.

Anonymous said...

Hey well done for having such a positive attitude. I think holidays away from home with small children are vastly over-rated. it's so much easier to be in your own home and go out for days, particularly if people are ill. I rather like holidaying from home. Not quite so keen on runny bums though.

I hope you enjoy your remaining three day break and get out and about and enjoy yourselves. It's actually sunny here today amazingly - hope it is with you too!

Steve said...

That is spooky, Tenon_saw... what a small world... at least around these parts!

To tell you the truth Gina I've enjoyed being a bit of a home-bird this holiday. Plus it's always nicer sleeping in one's own home and returning to home comforts. It's also proved to be less expensive - it would be nice if that was never a consideration but unfortunately it is these days!

The Sagittarian said...

Spot the blonde! Why did I trawl thru the link about the Rugby Museum trying to find stuff about THE GAME of Rugby? What an idiot.
Glad you're enjoying your time off Steve, make sure you're all shiny faced and happy at the "oriface" come Tuesday...it will annoy the bejesus outta your unholidayed work mates!

TimeWarden said...

I wouldn't romanticise Gloucestershire too much, Steve. I'm ten miles from Stroud and fifteen from Nailsworth and the county is rife with crime that would take the Dark Knight to sort out!

Steve said...

Ha ha! That's made me laugh straight away Amanda... though you're not far off the mark. The game of Rugby was invented at Rugby School for Boys however it has yet to be graced with its own museum!

TimeWarden, maybe it's time I invested in a kevlar bat suit and got me a bat tank?

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Sometimes Costa Del Home can be surprisingly enjoyable.

Nailsworth sounds lush.

Old Cheeser said...

Sounds like you managed to cram in a lot (so to speak) - glad your hols have proved to be eventful and activity filled and you all got over the nasty lurgey! And never mind about the British Museum - another time eh?

Maybe I can sort out the "Blog meet" for some point soon, anyhoo!

Steve said...

It was Laura - one of those places where you feel really on holiday...

We've crammed in a surprising amount, OC, it's just a pity I have to drag my haunches back to work tomorrow... I am not looking forward to it at all!

Steve said...

Actually Amanda, Karen has informed that there is indeed a museum of Rugby in Rugby... so there you go!

The Sagittarian said...

Excellent, then next time I'm in your neck of the woods you can babysit and Karen can take me to Rugby! Well, that's settled then. Cheers!! (And Simon can cart me around the BM again...)

Steve said...

That sounds like a date, Amanda. I'll tell Karen to stick the lager on ice and buy the bus tickets. Can you bring me back a Mars bar please?