Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Trouser Arouser?


I must admit to being a little nonplussed by the new Subway advert that has hit UK television recently.

It features a young man walking down the High Street, minding his own business when, passing by a Subway “restaurant”, something rather bulbous and bulging erupts upwards out of his trousers and drags him closer to the Subway establishment like a magnet attracting a poker.

I confess I had to do a double take.

Turns out this animated trouser monster wasn’t his Geronimo at all but in fact his trouser pocket turned inside out and exposed to the air in its eagerness to drag the trouser wearer into the Subway premises.

See, such is the excellent value of their wares your own pockets will apparently beg, push and cajole you into spending some of your hard earnt moolah on one of their Meatball Marinara Subs.

Yeah right.

Surely the ad producers must have clocked that the poor guy merely looks like he is getting a great stonking erection at the thought of wrapping his tongue around a Subway Chicken & Bacon batch?

Well of course they did. Sex sells after all.

But I can’t think of anything less sexy than a Subway “restaurant”. It just doesn’t appeal. And mixing their corporate image with bulging erections just turns me off even more.

Urgh!

Hold the mayo?

You’re damned right.

I think I’ll just stick with my usual fish supper...

(Sorry...!)

;-)



15 comments:

Rol said...

His... "Geronimo"???

No, I can't even ask. The images in my head, the images in my head - MAKE THEM STOP!

Anonymous said...

Sadly I'll never see it!

Steve said...

Missbehaving: tell Mr Behaving to stick a Subway baguette into his trouser pocket. The effect is much the same...!

Steve said...

Rol, that has genuinely made me laugh out loud - no mean feat on a very glum day. ;-)

Owen said...

Steve, I suppose you realize this begs the old question one poses at parties after pulling one front trouser pocket inside out and letting it flop over : "Have you ever seen a one-eared elephant ? Would you like to see the trunk ?"

No, I did not just say that... naughty Owen...

Steve said...

That's a new one on me Owen... but I guess an elephant beats a trouser snake any day of the week. I guess the problems begin when someone asks it to suck up water or eat peanuts... ;-)

Old Cheeser said...

Wow, can't wait to see that one!!

Somehow you just KNEW I was going to say something like that....

I guess they only show it after the watershed...?

Steve said...

Good point, OC - as I think about it I think the advert is only on from mid-evening onwards. They're obviously not taking any chances.... I mean, some of those vegetable batches are pretty risque...!

The Sagittarian said...

This is one of your posts that we just KNOW Karen didn't get to see first right? (sorry?!)
Haven't seen that ad, sdounds like its only a matter of time before the thought-police pull it anyway (very sorry.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Steve...

I'm actually speechless...

The Geronimo thing cracked me up though!

;-)

Steve said...

Amanda, I'm lucky that my wife has a good sense of humour (though it's questionable that I do). I'm sure the thought police are, even now, polishing their shields and bulbous batons...!

Sweet Cheeks, just happy to make you laugh. The last couple of posts had been a bit glum... thought it was time to lighten the mood.

Owen said...

Steve, I susptected no less from you as pertaining to the various uses to which an elephant's trunk may be put, as you know the trunk of a pachoderm is a highly versatile appendage, it can not only aspirate water or mud or other liquidy matters, but it can spray them back out with amazing vigor, the trunk is playful, it loves to caress, cajole, and massage anything it is curious about with its surprisingly soft and tactile tip, or it can deliver resounding smacks to anything that may need smacking, such as cheeky bloggers who reduce elephant's abilities to only eating peanuts !!! Enough said !!! :-DDD

Anyway, it was not about elephants eating nuts I wanted to leave you a note about here, but squirrels, and in specific, a particular lone grey squirrel who I think needs to be discovered by good demented folks like yourself, to help detach him from the crowd of squirrely bloggers out there, so please take a quick look at this bushy tailed blog :

http://lonegreysquirrel.blogspot.com/

And if you like it as much as I do, well, offer him some peanuts or something appropriate, I think he likes people, even if a squirrel at heart...

Steve said...

Owen, I would never reduce a pachyderm's abilities to merely eating peanuts... I hear they love warm buns too!

I shall make a point of visiting the blog of one Squirrel Nutkin very shortly...! ;-)

Owen said...

Steve, saw where you dropped by the squirrel nest... he's a right nutter, eh?

I am so embarrassed about my spelling errors or typos or whatever, I was writing very early in my day yesterday, my eyes weren't fully open, I know "pachoderm" does not exist, I realized while I was driving to work that it was a "y" in the middle... I think I was thinking something like "pocket-derm", as in people who play "pocket-billiards" or "pocket pool" with their hands in their pockets... :-D

Anyway, be careful what you expose in the presence of squirrels, they have long, sharp teeth !

Catherine said...

sounds a pretty puerile ad...glad I am too far away to see it!!