Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Birthday Boy

Yesterday saw yours truly hit the ripe old age of 38.

Yes. I know. You’re all reeling in shock. “38!” I hear you cry. “But how can that be when your writing is always so youthful and (what’s the word you kids use?) rad?”

Well, it’s time to come clean. I’m a 69 boy and proud of it.

Erm. Let me rephrase that. I was born in the year 1969 and am proud of it. I’m proud to have cut my teeth (quite literally) in the space age. I’m old enough to remember black and white TV that closed down for the night at 12 o’clock. I can recall glam rock, punk, New Wave, Shoe-gazing and grunge long before they all stepped up to the plate yet again in the 21st Century. I can remember Penny Chews and Rhubarb & Custard sweets. I chortled at Hong Kong Phooey and Top Cat. I guffawed at Rentaghost and Chorlton & The Wheelies. I fancied Daphne from Scooby-doo. And Cheryl Ladd from Charlie’s Angels.

And 30 odd years later nothing much has changed.

Well. Apart from the fact that my hair is turning grey and I become a grumpy old git when I hear what passes for music on the radio these days. Bah humbug. Who told that Calvin Harris chappie he could sing, eh?

Anyway, I had a terrific day – Karen and I both had the day off work and she treated me to a fabulous Thai meal in Stratford. I was also showered in gifts – the most notable being a beautiful 7.1 Megapixel camera which knocks the spots of my old one by miles. I was also overwhelmed to find the Life On Mars and Rome box sets among my birthday bounty along with Hot Fuzz and The Last King Of Scotland. I have some terrific viewing ahead of me. Karen’s done me proud (erm, let me rephrase that... er, oh yeah; I’ve done that joke, haven’t I?).

Karen also treated me to various stylish articles of clothing and a couple of survival handbooks by the god of nettle-tea and mushroom sticking plasters himself, Ray Mears. The accoutrements to my life are complete.

Global warming can bring it on.

I’m ready for it.

17 comments:

Alexys Fairfield said...

Hi Steve,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I think birthdays are great at any age, besides your Soul is ageless. Many happy returns! :D

Old Cheeser said...

Many Happy Ones Steve! And...I am a 69 boy too, oddly enough. (And please, leave the double entendres to me, I'm a smutty homosexual after all). You're a little bit younger than me, you'll be pleased to hear - by a few months!

You're as old as you feel I think - maybe like you when I stop and think about being 38 it's frightening. I still feel like a child in many respects.

What a generous wife you have when it comes to pressies - ye-hah!

Funny to hear you name-checking all those milestones of growing up - I remember them well too. Whatever happened to Rhubarb and Custard sweets? And do you remember Spangles?

Nice Cheryl Ladd pic too, Farrah Fawcett for me was the ultimate icon though.

The Sagittarian said...

happy birthday to you
Squashed tomatoes and stew
Bread and butter
in the gutter
happy birthday to you.
You share a birthday with my 10 year old. Thought I'd sing you a 10 year old version.
cheers from Christchurch New Zealand

Steve said...

Many thanks for the birthday wishes, one and all!

I never quite clicked with Farrah - she was too stiff and California fake for me, whereas Cheryl Ladd had those amazing cheek bones and a really lovely personality on the show. And she looked far better in a bikini. I can remember looking at her bikini poses as a 10 year old thinking how I'd like to do something to her - I just wasn't sure what. But I wanted to do lots of it!

Rol said...

Belated birthday things.

Don't they make Rhubarb & Custards anymore? It's a scandal!

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Belated compliments of your new season Steve! Glad you had a great day.

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be as they say!

I was born at an early age myself and in the words of Chicago 'Ahm older than ah ever intended to be!'

By the by, if you and your good lady want a spiffing night out in Leamington Spa this Sunday PureAndGoodAndRight (performance poetry night) is in The Fox @ 8pm. Myself and some friends usually go, tho' I'll probably give the performing a break this month since I was a feature poet last. However my actor friend Alan Wales is going to be unveiling a brand new monologue apparently.

Steve said...

Thanks Rol - I haven't seen Rhubarb and Custard anywhere and I have really looked. I'm hoping there's a vintage sweet shop lying as yet undiscovered that can satisfy my appetites...

And thank you Laura, nice to meet a fellow blogger and poet who is from round these 'ere parts...!

MOTHER OF MANY said...

What 38?
A mere boy.
Glad to hear you had a great birthday.

Steve said...

"A mere boy" - ah, Ally. You're my best mate you are!

TimeWarden said...

"Duh, hiya T C!"

Many belated happy returns of the day, Steve. I expect you're looking forward to your 40th! Don't worry, it's not that bad!!

I, too, preferred Cheryl Ladd to Farrah Fawcett! The latter was so plastic in "Logan's Run". Of the other "Angels", I also quite liked Tanya Roberts, one of the reasons "A View to a Kill" is one of my favourite Bond films.

Sounds like you have a lot of viewing to catch up on. Should keep you out of mischief for several hours!

Once again, a very Happy Birthday to you.

Best wishes, Tim

Glenda Young said...

Ah! A fellow August birthday-er. Mine is next week but I'm a little older than you. I might start going backwards on the clock soon.

-eve- said...

Hey, blessed birthday to you! I'm glad you had such a nice birthday...:-)

Steve said...

Thanks Nora - hope you have a good 'un!

Steve said...

Thanks TimeWarden - yes, wasn't Tanya Roberts also in some sort of African jungle adventure film too? I know she had amazingly startling eyes but I hear she left Charlie's Angels due to personality clashes with the rest of the cast. Cheryl Ladd was, for me, always the epitome of what is good, beautiful and amazing in this world. She still is, bless her.

Steve said...

And thank you Eve - it's always nice to get good wishes from your-good-self!

TimeWarden said...

Tanya Roberts had the starring role in "Sheena: Queen of the Jungle"!

Steve said...

"Sheena: Queen of the Jungle" - that was it! My God was that a classic film! Thanks for that. See, we're all going to have real trouble with our film and music references if you stop blogging!