Sunday, August 26, 2007

Show Me The Money

Yesterday my oldest friend, Tris, popped up to Leamington for a quick whistle-stop visit and we managed to take time out from our glamorous weekend routines to grab a quick coffee in town.

Tris and I have known each other since we were 7 or 8 years old, more or less, so it’s fair to say that nobody knows me as well as Tris – not counting Karen that is; I do think that to really know someone you have to live with them.

Anyway, we had a lot of catching up to do and amid the domestic tale telling I filled Tris in on my current web design business woes – Mr Chauffeur Man still hasn’t coughed up the £500 he owes me. Tris was very complimentary about the chauffeur site – something I very much needed to hear after last week’s attacks by Mr Anonymous / Mr Web Designer – and also revealed that if the site had been designed and built by the company he works for in London they would have charged a cool £30,000 for it!

My jaw dropped open so fast I think I dislocated it and left a permanent notch in the table.

I must point out that Tris works for Saatchi & Saatchi so he’s quoting S&S prices. But even so…

I’m beginning to wonder if maybe, just maybe, I’m selling myself a little bit short…

7 comments:

Old Cheeser said...

Well, no harm in upping the price a bit is there Steve? Maybe not quite your pal's fees but more, nevertheless. As you say, don't sell yourself short!

Making me think that I really need to do something with the web skills I've gained. My plan was to do something similar to you, some freelance work for clients. Haven't done anything yet though, ahem...

-eve- said...

Ha, maybe you're right - you ARE selling yourself short! And then again, it's all about supply and demand... your work DOES deserve better pay, but you'd have to be living in a place that was willing to pay that...:-)

Just like India is full of brilliant doctors all on low pay, because there're just too many of them... plain economics, i guess ;-)

Steve said...

You're right, guys - no harm in upping the price... but I also need to be realistic and not price myself out of the market. It has to be a price that people are willing to pay... and I guess with Saatchi & Saatchi part of the kudos is having them produce the work for you. I don't think people will feel the same about little old me!

The Poet Laura-eate said...

I think you are right to be realistic Steve, flattering though your friends' comments are.

And some serious market research never goes amiss re any profession, aside from regular training in something that is so obviously fast-moving.

I have a publisher friend who is desperate to launch his new all singing, all-dancing (with added bells and whistles) website offering multifarious interactive services to writers, but the moment he is ready to unveil it, a new web innovation comes along which requires incorporating into the 'master' site to keep it up to date! It is now six months past the original launch date and he has sunk his life savings into the project. I have seen a prototype. It looks like it will be impressive when it is finally 'out there'. And unlike some of your tricky clients my friend is actually quite dynamic about providing material for the site etc and has regular meetings with his web developers. But it is easy to see why he needs such a sophisticated website when you see the level of functionality he is seeking to incorporate - something which is probably never going to come cheap.

Steve said...

Hi Laura, you've hit the nail right on the head. It's almost impossible to keep up with the new innovations unless you are firmly ensconced in the sharp end of the industry. I'm definitely not - a one man band in a small Midlands backwater! It's been years since I had any new training; the whole web design thing started as a hobby and then mutated into a way to make a little extra money. I just cannot produce a site with flashing lights and chiming bells: it's totally beyond my skills and know-how. I therefore adjust my prices to match the skills I do have. My sites might not be cutting edge but they work and provide the necessary functionality for my clients. Personally I think there's a lot to be said for simpler but more reliable technology... but then I'm biased!

MOTHER OF MANY said...

Perhaps you should have a clause in the contract when you make a website for somebody which says THIS WEBSITE WILL SELF DESTRUCT IN 30 DAYS OF NON-PAYMENT OF FEES, or that you have a mate like Gorgeous George from Snatch who will come round to settle business!
Charging more in the beginning shows you know you are worth the money and you mean business and I'm sure you feel your worth the extra cash. I certainly couldn't produce a website like yours.

Steve said...

Hi Ally,

A self destruct mechanism would be brilliant if I could engineer one! If you know of a Gorgeous George type character... let me know: he's hired!