Friday, December 05, 2008

Christmas Hare

I’ve been caught napping yet again.

Like something out of one of Aesop’s legendary fables I commenced Christmas Shopping in late October with the speed of the Hare: off from the blocks at 90 mph, kicking up enough dust and tinsel to give the elf’s in Santa’s workshop chronic asthma and with a cast iron certainty that this year I would win the race well ahead of the pack for sure.

But you know how it goes.

Online shopping is so easy. One morning of pulverizing the plastic and it’s practically all done. Got the wife sorted. Got the kids mostly sorted. Just a few items leftover that you actually have to go outside and proper shop for.

But there’s plenty of time. Christmas is months away. I’m tired now. I’ll just take a quick nap underneath this tree and then I’ll be off again in no time. Relax. That tape is as good as breasted.

And then you wake up and Christmas is just 19 days away. Mere weeks. And all the Tortoises who have been plodding away slowly but constantly are now well ahead of you. They’ve already bought and written all their Christmas cards. They’ve already got their wrapping paper bought and their presents already wrapped. They’ve already posted all their stuff well ahead of the rush for the post boxes and the last Christmas delivery slots. They’ve already cleared the shelves of all the good stuff before you even set foot inside the store.

So now the panic is setting in. Every year I do this – end up playing Christmas chicken and doing everything at the last minute – and always swear that next year I’ll be more organized and get it all finished well ahead of time.

Yeah right. And maybe next year I’ll get this sheep’s clothing to fit me as well...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what, I don't even pretend anymore that I am going to get my act together next year, and get it all done in October, I wont, I just know I wont, but somehow it all comes together doesn't?
For me Xmas IS all about running around like a mad woman, it;s all part of the fun.

Rol said...

I seem to follow a similar pattern as you. I buy all the obvious presents well in advance... then run around at the last minute trying to come up with solutions for those harder-to-buy-for types. Why can't everybody just have an Amazon wishlist and be done with it?

Steve said...

You may have a point Missbehaving - I never feel fully in the Christmas spirit until I've exhausted myself running around town and punched out a fellow shopper as we grapple for the last eagle-eyed action man in the store...

Rol, my biggest concern is why my rellies never bother to read the Amazon Wishlist that I've had published on-line for the last 5 years... come on, guys! Hint hint...!

skatey katie said...

but steve -
there's something to be said for the wonderful adrenalin rush that playing any kind of chicken gives ya!

i have grand plans for a christmas newsletter this weekend - i still have 30-odd reindeer pressies to wrap for nik and an apron to sew for mel's daughter and there is mount everest behind me and NO CARPET in sight -

*chants mantra*
love joy and peace baby.
love joy and peace X

Steve said...

I must admit, Kate, I got my uni essay finished yesterday and it's absence from my "To Do" list has left me feeling a little freer and with more capacity to get into the Christmas spirit... it's like all the boring chores are now out of the way and I can concentrate on the more enjoyable ones...

justme said...

Does it make you feel better to hear that I have not STARTED xmas shopping yet??

Steve said...

In all honesty, yes it does.

;-)

Anonymous said...

I refuse to do anything in relation to Christmas until December has started. Otherwise preparations creep ever further forward.

I spent an hour or two last week ordering things online and I won't do a lot more. I rarely venture into Real Shops as they are so unpleasant.

It looks like you are in good company here, Steve - no-one much seems at all organised.

The Poet Laura-eate said...

Take heart Steve, I haven't bought a single prezzie. And I have only just bought my cards this week. Not a single one written yet though. I'll make a start next weekend, provided I don't have job-defending stuff to wade through and prepare as usual. Think I've got my next tactic ready for Monday's meeting though.

You sound like you are pretty well sorted to me! And will the year-old really notice if are not? Tis only the 7 year old who needs impressing isn't it?

The Sagittarian said...

I refuse to anticipate Christmas until I feel like my birthday is well and truly over. For years when I was wee kid most the rellies combined Xmas and birthday rpesents for me - the meanness of it! So, now that I'm older and IN CHARGE...then Xmas can wait until I jolly well want it. (My poor niece has her birthday on Xmas day)
Hmph. Bah humbug.

Steve said...

Gina, I must admit I feel strangely comforted by the lacksadaisicalness of my fellow bloggers towards Christmas organization... looks like there might be some bargains left in the stores after all!

You are, of course, right Laura - the young one will be just as happy with his gifts not wrapped or wrapped in newspaper. Actually that isn't true. He prefers the wrapping and the empty boxes more than the toys... I shall raid the recycling bin for him to keep him happy and save myself a fortune. ;-)

Steve said...

Amanda, I totally appreciate where you're coming from. My sister has her brithday on the 13th January and she too often felt like the rellies merely combined Christmas and her birthday into one big celebration so that the birthday was very much an after-thought. Stick to your guns. I will cancel Christmas at my end until your birthday is completed. Just let me know when I can start putting up the fairy lights.

Daisy said...

steve...i just shop when i can as well...was going to go out sunday but was feeling a bit poorly and to be honest i really do have enough for everyone just wanted to get a couple of extra things i thought they would like...oh well...as you say maybe next year :)

Steve said...

Hi Daisy, it's amazing how giving present suddenly becomes an obligation at best and an obsession at worst. I think you're approach is right - be real and sensible about it. Sometimes other priorities have to be considered!